2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Monday 8 January 2007

Welcome to Cairo

The trip has started ... and if I was thinking of starting to chill out from day one - FORGET IT!!! Cairo is a bustling, 18 million people madhouse ... no offense - but the traffic is hell and it seems to dominate every sense, every second. Not sure if anyone has, or needs, a drivers license? Every car definitelly has a hooter and they seem to test it routinely every two or three seconds.

It is a city with a very different vibe to any other place I've ever been. I will enjoy it here, but I'm quite sure I'd rather settle in Poffader than in Cairo.

I had a good flight - Egypt Air is very good. And the Cataract Pyramids Hotel is also quite decent - with a very decent breakfast.

Wish me luck as I still ferry between the South African and the Sudanese Embassies to finalise my visa for Sudan ... been to both and hopefully just need to go back to both once more.

Many thanks to Janeen, Mike and family for popping in at the airport in Jo'burg. Nice to see the Micklethwaites as well. And Sarah - good luck with the little monster.