2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Tuesday 6 March 2007

Marsabit

Welcome to Kenya … we crossed the border four days ago … into hot, arid and empty Northern Kenya. Marsabit – on top of an exploded volcano - is warm, green, humid and noticeably wetter in vegetation. There are still severe regional water shortages … a man was apparently killed last week over a spat for water rations.

We left Yabelo – our last rest day and had our last two days of (poor) tar road. I had the pleasure to ride with Remy again … loads of fun and a good pace setter. The countryside got dryer and redder as we progressed along, and kids were few and far between ...

The border town of Moyale was quite a happening place – we got in early and spent our last Bir (Ethiopian money) on Cokes, lunch, snacks and an attempt on a poor internet connection. Camp was on the Kenyan side … yeeha, back to driving/cycling on the left hand side … at the Kenyan Wildlife Society Camp. All the non-South Africans were totally excited about the ostriches running around the camp … boring!
camping rules


Miles … you stupid guy … ;-)

Miles … our cook/management staff from Tour d’Afrique … was as usual up to his stupid little pranks – which eventually, and still, had us in absolute hysterics.

We had to use a little hosepipe, coming out of a big water tank on the campsite, to do our “showering”. While I was busy cleaning – a local employee walked by and kept staring very noticeably at me … but whenever I tried to make eye contact and greet him he always quickly looked away. On me greeting him, he quickened his gait, mumbled a response and disappeared. I noted his odd behavior, but didn’t think any further about it … merely thinking he might have been really shy – or embarrassed about admiring my chiseled cycling body ;-)

Later while chatting with Miles, and several others, it transpired that Miles had been speaking to the same gentleman while they were standing next to an ostrich and had me in their sights in the distance. Miles told the guy that I was as strong as a bull, could out run an ostrich and was basically an extremely powerful guy … but unfortunately I had been in a severe car accident and was not completely right in the head. He told him that I was not dangerous … but I may behave odd, scream or mumble nonsense as he passed me.

That seems to explain his peculiar behavior on passing me.