2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Friday 31 August 2012

The time has come ...

... tomorrow I am off ...

Some final packing tonight, and off I fly ...

It has been a long and interesting journey to get to this stage. From an impulse decision to enter, through a gradual build-up of training and eight months of specific training program effort.

It has been fun ... especially the eating and putting on weight ;-)

I have had some real boring training sessions; and lots of great sessions ... especially once I got stronger and faster and I really noticed how my swimming improved. I had a noticeably great period about three months ago when I changed my stroke and had amazing improvements in stroke efficiency and speed.

My body has also changed considerably ... besides the weight gain (all for insulation obviously), the broader shoulders, bigger arms and chest ... mmm ... but it does make the clothing choice a little difficult.

So ... off tomorrow ... via Johannesburg. Two days in London, and then off to Dover.

In one week my "window" opens ... lets just pray the weather and sea plays along ... last week no one managed to swim ... eish!