2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Tuesday 14 August 2012

A busy week that was ...

A close friend's wedding, snow and way too much travelling ... last week was just too busy. I should be relaxing and chilling a lot more. The question is how much to train, when to taper, how much to taper ... besides shopping, packing and final prep for my trip.

Just under three weeks to go till departure date ... well, now probably closer to 2 weeks than 3 weeks ...

Firstly a million thanks extended to WITS University, in Johannesburg ... for letting me use their 50m swimming pool. My intention had been to use it on Tuesday and Wednesday last week already ... but with it snowing on Tuesday, and still being so cold on Wednesday, I opted to pass on that one. A really great 50m, heated, outdoor pool. I went through on Saturday, with all intentions to do a good 20-odd km swim ... well, the week did catch up with me and I managed a sad 13km. I was just too tired, unfocused, de-motivated, stiff and Gatvol ... and still got lekker sun burnt - actually good I didn't do the full 24km.

The week was, besides very busy, actually very good. I touched base wit Janeen - one of my support group for the swim. Worked relatively hard. Enjoyed my very close friends' wedding and then got to catch up with numerous well travelled, other very close friends.

A decent (but at this stage not enough) 25km for the week was all the more noticeable in that my body felt it all the more at "altitude" ... about 1500m, compared to my normal sea level training.

Well, well, well ... with a little under 3 weeks till departure to the UK I seem to have wrapped up my search for my crew. Janeen, from Pretoria. And then two experienced members from the UK.

So here we go ... shopping lists are completed, to-do lists are ever growing ... and I still seem to be travelling too much.

Time flies when you having fun!! :-)