2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Monday 30 July 2012

Getting VERY Nervous

Six weeks to go ... eish! My nerves are rather shod at the moment ... and I am nowhere close to the UK yet ;-)

It doesn't help having come down with a real nasty bout of flu and having missed two weeks of training. I also have to travel for work during three consecutive weeks ... and the work load is not letting up with the departure of my manager and various projects coming together at the same time.

But that is life ... and surviving in the real life can only help prepare for the sport challenges we choose.

I did my first 2km swim today - since coming down with the flu ... it was nice to glide through the water again. I have a gym session this evening, a massage and hopefully a good night's rest.

Tomorrow a 5km loosener and then two days on the road and lecturing delegates. Another three hard weeks of swimming lie ahead; and then 3 weeks tapering and time to do all the smaller admin duties.

I spent a great evening yesterday, with some great help, building my feeding rigs and prepping the bottles and plastic containers to fit ropes and all the necessary contraptions.

These prep sessions and ever increasing lists of things to do and buy are fuelling the excitement and nerves ...

... the trick is to find a way to switch off at night and find that much needed sleep!!