2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Saturday 31 March 2012

What a place to train ... Silvermine Dam


After a period of de-motivation, laziness and not 100% health I feel I am back into a rhythm of sorts. My body definitely feels as if it has had too much rhythm of sorts!

Silvermine Dam ... one of the most beautiful places in the world. A freshwater dam up in the mountains around Cape Town, and the location for a lekker 13km (4.5hour) swim this morning. My weekly mileage coming up to 23km this week. Tomorrow a little run and a gym session ... strict instructions from the chiropractor to do a land based activity to "open up" some of the tight mechanical chains I am developing through my swimming.

We try to fit in one 10km swim every weekend; in the dam. Currently a comfortable 18 degrees. It offers a great 600m too and fro swim ... which can be a little mind numbing when you do 15 to 20 reps ...

I am quite chuffed to have plodded through this swim today ... although totally knackered now ... mentally it was very good to have paddled around for close to 5 hours (about 4h20 swimming ... and a bit of chit chat to get through the lot).

Now for another DVD ... and lots of food ... ;-)