2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Monday 5 March 2012

Rottnest Swim failure ... but a great holiday

Well rested, recharged and ready to get going once again. I have just spent a good two weeks in Perth, Australia. Baby sitting, sleeping, a little swimming, eating, shopping, more sleep ... really just relaxing :-)


Unfortunately the Rottnest Channel Swim did NOT pan out as planned. I had to pull out after 2h45 ... probably about 9km of the 20km completed. I started of very well - fit, strong, energised and happy with the conditions ... but then slowly became extremely nauseous :-( The conditions were not great, yet also not terrible. There was a constant chop and irritating swell that battered us the whole time. After about 90 minutes of swimming I progressively felt more and more nauseous and tired. Eventually I had to stop and relax/breathe every ten strokes or so.


It was probably the toughest decision in a sporting situation I have had to make - hundreds of thoughts going through my mind about battling on, digging deep, taking it bit-by-bit ... but ultimately I was feeling horrible and really didn't have the energy and stomach to carry on for another four to five hours like this. I am also very pragmatic about the whole thing - we have to take what we get dished out; things didn't pan out this time ... and I basically need to work towards the next one ;-)


My dear paddler (Russi) was actually over the moon that I pulled out ... he had been hurling his guts out (unbeknown to me) for the last hour already ... and was quite happy to get out of there too ... thanks a mill mate ;-)


Many, many thanks ...!!!


I need to extend an amazing thanks to several persons with regards to my Rottnest attempt. First and foremost to Lynn and Rowan Matthews for offering their boat and skipper services ... you were amazing, extremely hospitable and helpful in every regard. Further thanks to John Turner for your support and options to do my final training sessions in Perth. Furthermore, many thanks to my good friends Russi and Vivian (and family), as well as Tania, for support, accommodation and a fabulous holiday.


It was a great trip. Very relaxing. Slightly disappointing. And a good learning curve.


Thanks to all ... and now for the next SIX MONTHS ...