2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Monday 4 June 2012

Breaking the scale

Aaaaagghhhh ... 99.3 kg. I am sitting there, just below the beeeeg triple numbers. Weird how it is quite a mental thing. I am currently very happy sitting around the 96 to 98 kg mark for my swimming in the cold water. Previous, personal experiences have shown noticeable increases in cold water tolerance between my usual "Ironman" weight of 84 to 86 kg (felt very cold in longer cold water swims) and comfortable cold water swims at 94 kg.

Three of us went for some good cold water, open water swimming on the weekend. My 99 kg at 1.84m tall were useful as I hardly suffered and felt fine in the 14-15 degree water. Both my mates, sitting pretty at 1.88m tall; but only carrying 90 to 92 kg felt the cold and shivered much more.

I am sure the increased training program for the next two months will chip away at my 99 kg ... which is perfectly fine with me as I do love to eat :-)