2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Monday 18 June 2012

10km, 3 hours, sub-14 degrees

Now that was a good weekend of swimming and relaxing!

Although work kept me out on the other side of the country till late on Friday; I still managed to fit in a tedious 5km swim at the gym on the way to the Airport. It was one of those swims that just don't gel. It just was not exciting and fun. Luckily the whole weekend's training did not continue like that ...

After a short sleep we were all hoping on a 3 mile sea swim in Camps Bay ... but alas ... thick fog prevented that. So off I went and did a very enjoyable, strong 8km at the gym. This time enjoyable and definitely worth it. Some nice fellow swimmers to chat to and setting a decent, strong pace throughout.

Sunday morning I felt like a truck had driven over me ... just so flat and stiff. I was supposed to join my mates at 09h00 ... but rather decided on a very worthwhile snooze and enjoyable breakfast in bed.

... and then joined the others at 10h00 ... outside pool, 50m, COLD ... aaaaggghhh!

After the initial shock and self query as to why I do this to myself; I relaxed into it and really enjoyed the swim. The hot showers afterwards were also awesome ... especially the tingling extremities when the blood starts to circulate and warmth returns to the body.

... Now lets see how I can torture myself next weekend ...