2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Wednesday 4 April 2007

Thoughts of the trip

Me and my Boet ... in Malawi ... enjoying a much needed breather climbing from Chitimba to Mzuzu
Some more ideas, facts and thoughts:

  • I've lost lotsa weight ... not sure what my current measurements are ... but my arm warmers are totally useless (can't stay up on my arm) and my casual trousers are way to big ... looking for a decent clothes shop in Lilongwe tomorrow.
  • Cheers again to Donna, Ruth and Trina ... from BC, Canada ... it was fun to have you here. Trina ... I hope you have apologised to Donna for causing such a major cycling accident ... tut, tut, tut ... at least you made it up with those nice M&Ms!! ;-)
  • "Rolling Hills" is really becoming a terrible term on our trip ... especially cause we constantly have them at the moment ... and the same term is being used for rolling mountains and rolling hills ... so we never know what to expect.
  • We have been VERY lucky with the rain!!! I've only had one day with a ten minute light shower and ten minute torrential down pour ... on the whole trip. A couple of nights with severe or slight rain ... and some major morning dew which leaves the tents sopping wet. Overall - absolutely nothing. Last year they had three weeks of rain every day during Kenya, Tanzania and Malawi!!!
  • Ethiopia still stands out as the most memorable and beautiful country on the trip. Sudan as the most impressive ... just the vast open nothingness and freedom of the open sand. Malawi is the friendliest, and Tanzania the lushest and greenest of them all.
  • My Nile Crocodile ... plastic horn on my bike ... lost his voice and had to be removed. I actually seem faster and more mobile with less wind resistance!