2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Thursday 17 May 2012

Three cheers for my AquaCoach and Stroke Change

Well ... for any novices out here searching blog sites and getting training ideas ... I have found, or rather eventually adopted, two key components to my training routine. Do not waste any more time searching ... focus on these ASAP!!

Firstly I eventually invested in a Speedo AquaCoach watch. Secondly I eventually adopted some decent stroke changes. Both are by no means new to any seasoned swimmers, but both should be drilled into any novice swimmer keen to take their hobby to a new level. I would equate these to certain must-dos in cycling: bib-shorts, tubeless MTB tyres and cleat pedals ... these items definitely change the enjoyment and success in ones sport :-)

Speedo AquaCoach
No more counting laps ... and more concentration on form and strokes per length. Really simple actually. It doesn't have to be a Speedo watch specifically ... but a swim watch that counts laps, average strokes, time, speed, etc ... For me this has made a huge difference.

Changed Stroke
I have read about, heard about, watched and been familiar with stroke rates, efficiency and styles for a while. I even thought I was implementing it semi-properly. But I had a rude awakening ... or rather the penny eventually dropped ... when I went to my chiropractor for a wrist niggle and we got into stroke rates and stroke style ...

BINGO!! Lawrence just described it so well. Thanks doc, you are a star.

For those that are into swimming and have not linked through to the Swim Smooth website ... go now ... immediately ... and don't forget to download the Mr Smooth app. The website is really well written, simple and to the point. Not as boring as some of the books on the market, and easy to reference back to on a regular basis.

Big up to my AquaCoach and Mr Smooth :-)