2012 English Channel Swim

7 - 14 September 2012



After having cycled through Africa, completed 5 Ironman Triathlons, run the Comrades Ultra Marathon, Climbed Kili ... I have decided to take on a slightly tougher option ...



... 34km of cold, open water swimming ... leaving the coast of the eternal "wanna-be" soccer nation, over to the "frogs" on the other side ...





Tuesday 12 December 2006

to race or not to race

Organize, organize, organize ... that is all I seem to be doing at the moment. I did manage two moderately long rides on the weekend - which were made that little bit more fun by having our usual summery South Easter gusting non-stop! Otherwise I've booked the movers (everything is going into storage for several months), booked the carpet cleaners, made my lists for packing, buying, do-on-return ... man I really am more German than I thought.

Many of you are asking whether I will be racing or touring ... I'll be damned if I know yet. What if I say yes - and then I end up competing against some Kazakhstan National Mountain Bike Team and don't live up to all your expectations!

Basically I have entered as a racer - but then I believe most or many of the entrants do so. If the competition is good and fair I may end up giving it a go. But, to be honest, I don't think I really wish to spend four months just watching every move, pushing it and going flat out. I really want to see something of the continent and wouldn't mind meeting one or two locals on the way. Furthermore last year only 25% managed to complete the whole trip, cycling all the way (EFI - Every F...ing Inch). So realistically Injury, Sickness, Cycle Damage and other causes can also interfere with a successful racing result.

So ... for all those other eager 2007 Tour d'Afrique entrants surfing the web and trying to see who is going to challenge you for glory ... you going to have to beat me to first place ... ;-)